Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Ocean

The Oceans takes up 7 10ths of the earth. But the ocean is actually only 96.5% water. The other 3.5% is 2.75% Sodom chloride and 0.78% other things.
  The ocean contains 360 quintillions gallons of water. (And just so you know; a quintillion is a billion billions which is 6 sets of 3 zeros or18 zeros.
  Gallons of water int the ocean:
               1,000,000,000,000,000,000, times 360. That's a lot of water.
   One cubic mile of ocean water contains:
           4.5 billion tons of water
           128 million tons of Sodium Chloride (table salt)
           18 million tons of magnesium chloride
           8 million tons of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt)
           6 million tons of calcium sulfate
           4.2 million tons of potassium chloride
           470,000 tons of calcium carbonate
           47,000 tons of rubidium
           1,400 fluorine
           1,400 tons of nitrogen
           470 tons of zinc
           380 tons of phosphorous
           380 tons of arsenic
           94 tons of iodine

Any way that's a lot of things in one cubic mile of ocean.

1 comment:

Eden said...

That is pretty amazing! :)

I'm really enjoying reading this alL!